Re: [Vala] [Genie] array slices

We are working with IO which returns the number of bytes written, not utf-8
characters.

The following shows this fairly well:
init
  var utf8 = "𐑣𐑩𐑤𐑴, 𐑢𐑻𐑤𐑛!"
  print "%d", (int) utf8.length
11

Python (3.1.2) does the same:
utf8 = "𐑣𐑩𐑤𐑴, 𐑢𐑻𐑤𐑛!"
len(utf8)
11

However, we can see that this is not the number of bytes:
buff = bytes(utf8, "utf-8")
len(buff)
35

Of course we can't do this with Genie since it has a broken to_utf8()
function:
  print "%d", (int) utf8.to_utf8().length
4196432

IO read/write functions return bytes for the number read and written.  For
this reason, I wrote us up an alternative mapping of GString for using
chra[] instead of string, and we avoid string whenever we have data which
could have utf8 content.

The pointer solution seems to work in this case, but Genie does not have
slice support currently (I checked), where Vala does and implements it in
nearly the same way Python does.