Re: [Vala] plans to speed up compilation

On 05/21/2010 07:50 AM, Sandino Flores Moreno wrote:
Something you could try, is separating logically related modules, and
generate .vapi file with its corresponding .a file (static library).

That way, if you modify one of those modules, only the vala files
in that logical group would be recompiled.

This approach is easily implemented with autotools.

Here is an example:
http://github.com/tigrux/omap-media-apps/blob/master/common/Makefile.am

That makefile is for an static library that isolates code that all the
applications
of my project need to use. So, If I modify an individual file of one
of the programs
(let say the player-app) only the files in that directory will me
compiled, not the whole
project.

- Sandino

That's an interesting suggestion. It had already occurred to me that we might be able to improve compilation speed by partitioning our program into several dynamically linked modules (i.e. plugins). But as you pointed out we could alternatively partition into several *statically* linked modules and use .vapi files for the interfaces between them. It would certainly be nice to have a speedup that works more automatically, but we could potentially use this as a fallback approach if our program grows much larger.

adam