Re: [Vala] plans to speed up compilation

On 05/21/2010 09:38 AM, Martin Olsson wrote:
Via valac's autotools support I'd assume you'd get
makefiles that make sure a.c isn't regenerated
if a.vala didn't change and then also "make -j" on
top of that to solve the CPU utilization issue?
To speed things up further you can use ccache or
similar to the gcc part.

Our project (Shotwell) does not use autotools, but it has a hand-crafted Makefile that achieves exactly what you described: if a .vala files does not change then a .c file is not regenerated, and we can use make -j to build all the .c files in parallel. In my earlier message I wasn't talking about the speed of compiling the .c files (which is satisfactory), but rather the speed of the 'valac --ccode' step which converts the Vala files to C.

adam