[Vala] Vala Journal, Issue #1

Hello everyone. Seeing the subject of this message, you probably started
to wonder what the heck this is.
Here's the plan: Each weekend, I'm going to sumarize what is going on
around Vala. This includes recently included features, open discussions,
fixed issues, etcetera. I may even drop in some unintrusive
advertisement of interesting projects written in Vala. ;)

The exact form this takes I haven't really decided yet, and will depend
mainly on your feedback. The point will be to keep those of you, who are
not subscribed to bugzilla and don't enjoy reading git log, informed,
and make this list more involved in the development.

This week, since it is the first attempt, I just went through bugs
changed during last month and picked those I find most interesting. This
only includes language related bugs this time. Next time I'll probably
include a full report of last weeks changes, add small info about some
really cool projects that catch my interest (or someone points out to
me), perhaps note discussions on the IRC channel that are relevant (in
case I'm present there at the time. isn't there any log of the
channel?). But as I said, the final form is still largely undecided.

So, enough of the introduction. In case you have any suggestions, feel
free to present them to me. Also, any noteworthy information related to
Vala should go straight to my INBOX. ;) If you have a blog where you
write about Vala, I'd be glad if you dropped me a message as well.

I'm not a journalist, so this my attempt may very well seem lame at
first. As has already been said, suggestions are more than welcome.

And here comes the promised bug digest. Enjoy!

Interesting new features to be (perhaps someday) added:
Consider these part of the next category as well. :)

Patch for native regular expression literals in the bugzilla.
Though I'm not a big user of those, I like it very much. :)

Complex conditionals! The form it should take is undecided. Comments

Local constants? Fairy old one. I don't know how useful that would be,
really. What about you?

This one proposes "in" operator to be usable for arrays. Quite nice I

Everyone's opinions welcome:
It would probably be best to discuss those here, so as not to spam
bugzilla. Also, not all of you have an account there.

Should casting between array types convert members or just recalculate

What should be the correct way to handle automatic properties in compact

Complex array types. Any thoughts about elmarco's proposal?
I thinks it's quite cool and simple.

Nullability of out parameters. This can actually be quite unobvious at
the moment. And I was getting it all wrong.. do'h!

Some more interesting fixed problems:

Coalesce operator (??) is now implemented in master. ;)

Enums now support to_string ().

You can compare structs now.

Signal.connect() now returns handler ID, so you can finally disconnect
closures easily.

Pre- and post-conditions for constructors are now allowed.

You can now declare multiple variables in for initializer.

.end() for async methods should now work correctly.

Throwing constructors shouldn't leak now.

Generic arrays as return values fixed.

Boxing and unboxing structs into GValue now works.

Relational operations now work with nullable types.

You can use nullable structs as property type now.

And, unfortunately, regressions:
Yeah, happens.