Re: [Vala] [ANNOUNCE] Vala 0.9.6 - Compiler for the GObject type system

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 19:11:28 +0200, JM wrote:
No. Actually I don't have a valac coming with my distribution.

But, more interestingly, why isn't the path in for the binaries/*.la set
up with the PREFIX chosen by the administrator, who compiles and
installs vala as Ildar said?

As Jan Hudec mentions so loudly: "...libtool is supposed to generate
appropriate -rpath option to ld based on path it has recorded in the .la
file ..."

Well, because you are installing to a prefix that is mentioned in
/etc/ld.so.conf. And it is only supposed to set rpath if it wasn't.

In the standard library directories, the normal lookup order is to be
followed, so the tools don't disturb it by generating rpath.

So, am I getting something wrong here or will it be possible to
automatically setup vala right and working by using the right autotools
command even without calling ldconfig from the makefile?

I'm no expert with the linking and libtool stuff, I might gotten
something wrong here.

You are supposed to call ldconfig after manually installing anything that
comes with a library. That's just the way it is. Package managers do it
automatically, but automake's default install target does not.

--
                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb ucw cz>