Re: [Vala] Cleaning up GCC warnings; dereferencing a void pointer.

On Sun, 2009-09-20 at 21:29 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
Some time back I had some trouble getting the GDK and X11 bindings
playing well together.  Jürg helped out and I got the code to compile
and work properly, but being the pedant that I am, I'd like to get rid
of the warning from gcc altogether.

The code that Vala generates is:

      real_xev = (XEvent*) (&(*xev));

The code that silences the GCC warning is:

      real_xev = (XEvent *)xev;

So, what I am wondering is, should I report a bug against Vala?  It
would seem that the expression "(&(*xev))" could be simplified to the
latter, and that simplification makes GCC happy, since the void* pointer
is no longer dereferenced and the pointer is properly cast to the
appropriate pointer type.

I haven't tested with your exact code, however, I've committed the
expression simplification to Vala master. Let me know if you still have
issues with that.

Jürg