Re: [Vala] Thoughts on asynchronous methods

On Sat, 2009-09-12 at 16:41 +0200, Jiří Zárevúcky wrote:
On 09/12/2009 01:34 PM, Jürg Billeter wrote:
2. purely asynchronous methods

There are actions that can't be represented synchronously and methods
where synchronous variant needs to be written separately. 'nuff said.
This could perhaps be handled using specialized [Async] attribute with
appropriate parameters.

For this exact reason - and the fact that sometimes parameter lists
differ slightly between sync and async variants -, I'm actually tending
to drop the combined sync/async method support, and only support purely
asynchronous methods. While combined methods sound interesting, they are
not essential, and I prefer a solid slightly simpler async support to
advanced async support with issues.

I don't know about removing altogether. AFAIK it just feeds the normal
codegen with the same data, no big deal. Maybe it would be more
reasonable to disable by default with some attribute for enabling?

We can always readd proper support for this later if we think it makes
sense. For now async methods are purely async.

Jürg