Re: [Vala] Vala bindings for epiphany?

On Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 10:29:30PM +0200, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
On Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 08:24:25PM +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:

I'm sure there are implementations of sets around for JavaScript.  But
that's just the point, Seed *doesn't come with one*, instead I have to
look around for an implementation to use.

AFAICT, having minimal built-in types was one of the major selling point for
Javascript as a scripting language for the GNOME desktop, the idea being
that you don't have two different data types to deals with i.e.
dictionaries, you just bind Gee and you're done.

Yes, that would be ideal.  However this was not a solution that came up when I
raised the lack of (usable) dictionaries and sets on the Seed mailing list.
This was a few months ago though.

I should probably point out that my opinion of Seed is largely influenced by
trying to rewrite a python extension during the 2.28 development cycle.  In
the end I decided to give up.  I still want the extension so I decided to try
using Vala and so far it's been a far better experience.  This is quite
possibly down to relative maturity of the code.

Anyway, I'll repeat that I don't think using Seed is wrong.  I just don't
think it's ready for writing extensions for Epiphany yet.  In the meantime,
and possibly for longer, I'd like to be able to write extensions in Vala
rather than C.

/M