Re: [Vala] mod_vala (was Removal of Mono)

Michael B. Trausch wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Jeremy wrote:
Maybe mod_mono (for apache) is an example of the sort of dependency I
was thinking of:
http://ibbie.xanga.com/686874553/item/
  That would be my blog post. I do still think a "mod_vala" would be a
*great* idea. Unfortunately, I feel it best to suggest that focusing on
improving the documentation might be a better goal. Both flavors of
syntax are great; but anyone coming in, either knowing another language
or just new to programming, will be discouraged when they can't find the
answers. After all, it's really difficult to RTFM when there's no
(finished) FM.  I mean, imagine if you did "man sbrk",  and at "RETURN
VALUE" it just said "To be completed..." (;

Hrm. A "mod_vala" might be okay, but it would be necessarily non-portable.

Why?

How about this, sites using mod_vala would save their pages in source code form to somewhere. When page is called, mod_vala runs it trough valac, and places the binary to some cache dir and executes the binary.

Next time mod_vala simply calls the existing binary.

This would allow PHP like easy editing of pages and provide access to all the nice bits and pieces of code and libraries that PHP cannot access.

The only downside would be that first time a page is called would be rather slow.

--
Arto Karppinen