Re: [Vala] enum typing

On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 21:40 -0600, Shawn Ferris wrote:
Hello again,

As you know, I've been working on the Oracle OCI bindings. Now that it's
funcational, I wanna wrap it into a more friendly, vala style interface.
I would like more of the options as properties, but I'm not sure if
there's a special way to define them. EG:

using OCI;
public class Test : GLib.Object {
  public OCI.Mode mode { get; set; default = OCI.Mode.DEFAULT; }
}

Vala doesn't seem to think this is a problem, but gcc pukes all over it,
and I sorta understand why. It's not really a type, it's a group of
values, but they're all int and I don't want to have to hard code that
fact if down the road oracle decides it shouldn't be.

Now, in the Vapi, I could do this to type args: (HType being the enum in
this case)

  public int HandleFree (
        void*              handlp,
        HType              type
  );

so, I'm not sure what the difference really is?

looks like you triggered a bug in valac about defualt property values of
non-native types.

Also, I was curious about separating api's into multiple vapi.. For
instance, the oracle one is huge, if I ever get to the point that the
entire thing is impletement (unlikely) but, to make it easy for myself,
I created oci_enums.vapi, oci_structs.vapi and oci.vapi for everthing
that doesn't fit in structs and enums.. Then I used oci.deps to pull in
structs and enums.. is that a good idea, or should the final product be
a single concatenated view of the three?

did you consider the possibility splitting the API into files by
functionality?
As always, appreciate any advice!