[Vala] Errors handling in vala compiler

Dear list,

Is there any documents/instructions on how grammar/semantics erros
handled by the compiler?

I can see there is a 'check' method for each node which recursively
checks the children of the node. It returns a false on error, and writes
the error message to stderr.

But how and why does the compiler exit when the method returns false?
Why isn't this part using the throw/catch handling?

I am looking into this because I am evaluating the possibility of
parsing and constructing the ast in valide with libvala. The IDE won't
be happy if libvala reports to stderr and aborts for errors.

Regards,

Yu