Re: [Vala] Port Tomboy?

Dne 1. červenec 2009 9:38 Yu Feng <rainwoodman gmail com> napsal(a):

I agree with you. Porting for the porting's sake is nothing but harmful.

Nonetheless I still think if VALA needs bigger, live projects to
increase the level awareness which it deserves.

Yes, it definitely does. But it also needs to be something new and useful.

At least among the
open-source vala projects tracked by ohloh, I don't see any of them a
critical application(by critical I mean a real develop team, active
development and large codebase). I don't think this situation is healthy
for the language's eco-system.

The language is still very immature and considering it a production
platform already isn't a very good idea.

I would like to do a survey/study about the situation. How do you think?

I think it is still too early to judge the language's position itself.
My personal opinion is that considering the number of outstanding and
continually appearing problems in this stage, Vala is doing quite
well.

What we really need is more of interested hackers who are able to fix
compiler issues. Even people (purposefully) trying out and fixing
bindings would help a great deal.
But. There is not enough documentation for a newbie to do that
(although it's a relatively easy task).

So the first thing to do would be finding someone who knows Vala well,
get him to write a full-blown reference specification and continually
update it. That is the sole prerequisite of any other action at the
moment.

Regards,

Yu

 -- Jury