Re: [Vala] Does vala still depend on FLEX anymore?

On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 22:31 -0500, Yu Feng wrote:
On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 00:31 +0100, Jürg Billeter wrote:
On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 18:16 -0500, Yu Feng wrote:
Hi Jurg,

If I am correct VALA no more depends on FLEX. But configure.ac still
checks for it.

The bundled gobject-introspection code (used by vala-gen-introspect)
still depends on flex. I'll remove the check as soon as we switch to the
external version of gobject-introspection.

Thanks for the clarify.

Will the dependency on the external gir be mandatory?
I've been installing vala under my home directory on several shared
servers. If the dependency of gir become mandatory I'll need to install
another package.

Vala will not depend on an extra library, the code to read .gir files is
already part of vapigen. We also will continue to distribute
generated .vapi files, they will just be generated from a different
source.

If you want to regenerate bindings - or generate additional ones -, you
will need gobject-introspection, but you won't need it just for using
bindings. In other words, vala-gen-introspect will be replaced by
g-ir-scanner and not bundled anymore. valac and vapigen will continue to
be part of the vala package and not depend on additional libraries.

Jürg