Re: [Vala] Xlib bindings?

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:09:52 +0100
Martin Olsson <mnemo minimum se> wrote:

I've not seen any XLib VAPI yet either. You might want to look into
"XCB" as well though. Note, however, that there is still some things
that are hard to do using XCB (like direct rendering Mesa isn't fully
ported yet for example):
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xcb/2009-February/004285.html

Either-or will probably work for the application; I'm considering doing
a re-write of AllTray in Vala to make it easier to maintain.  I am
still studying the sources for the last version from the old maintainer
to figure out how best to manage it.

The general idea is that it is an application that manages things at
a very low level.  It might even be possible to just write a Vala class
library that works with the Xlib protocol directly, though I don't know
that there'd be much point in doing that other than to say it's been
done.  :)

In any event, it's just an idea that I am working with, and it may not
even work out at all---there are a lot of strange things that have to
be done to reliably work with this sort of application when considering
that X is a network-transparent system and some things just may not be
possible without performing very expensive (network-wise) operations.
I was just hoping to find that Vala was what I was looking for---I use
C# for most other things, and finding something like this that makes C
"accessible" is very nice, indeed.

        --- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.