Re: [Vala] Vala Bugfix Hackathon

I don't want to speak for Jürg, but AFAIK he is just really busy right
now and has no intention of abandoning Vala. I seem to remember him
saying he thought he would be busy through November, but hoped to have
some more time to dedicate to Vala in December.

I think pancake is on the right track here. IMHO we should try to fix
all of the non-core issues we can, so that when Jürg has some time he
can spend it in the core. Of course, if people want to submit patches to
bugzilla which fix issues in the core, I'm sure that would be
appreciated as well.

 - Complete the documentation of the language (non-c#, non-java tutorial)
   - there are some things not explained in the tutorial, like the stack
allocated arrays, etc..

Great idea. The tutorial is a wiki, so if you notice something missing
please add it :)

   - we can probably start writing a book about vala, like the
parrot/rakudo people is doing
     http://rakudo.org/node/58

I don't know what state it's in, but there is a wikibook at
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vala_Programming

All that's needed is someone willing to write.

 - Documentation for CCodes

Yes, this is on my todo list. I intend to start a page on the wiki which
will list all available attributes, arguments, and their
function. /Vala/Attributes, maybe.

 - Fix VAPIs (I have seen some typos like 'Ccode' and I have some local
updates for curses.vapi f.ex..)

Please file bug reports for these issues. I am willing to fix bugs in
bindings, and try to do it fairly quickly. Many (most?) of the currently
outstanding bindings bugs at this point are really waiting on something
else before they can be fixed. I'm quite horrible about reading the
mailing list, and I can't promise that will change, but I do try to keep
an eye on bugzilla.

As for the 'Ccode' issue you mentioned...

commit b8104230231cd9730666870a474db33d479f4b2a
Author: Evan Nemerson <evan coeus-group com>
Date:   Wed Dec 2 13:55:55 2009 -0800

    Fix some typos in CCode attributes.

 - Review/report bug reports

Absolutely. I will try to make an effort to triage non-bindings bug
reports.

 - Submit patches to solve the bugs

Yes, of course ;)

I'm not convinced we need a hackathon to get these issues resolved, but
if other people feel differently I'm willing to participate.

-Evan Nemerson