Re: [Vala] Vala Bugfix Hackathon

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
Am Freitag, den 20.11.2009, 17:36 +0100 schrieb Michael 'Mickey' Lauer:
How can we move on with the hackathon?

I guess the central question is who apart from Jürg (who seems to be
very busy these days) has the knowledge to educate us how to fix certain
things in an upstream-acceptable way? These people are critical to such
a hackathon, hence we need them to dictate a date that would work.

Okay, if noone of the elders are volunteering to help us moving Vala
forward, then this pretty much kills the idea of the hackathon.

Too bad.

Yes, it's really sad to see that no one of the main developers can review patches,
reply mails or so...

I have more unreported bugs of vala-core, because I'm really losing the interest
of publishing them if there is no interest to fix them (...)

I really think a hackaton can solve this situation, but we need a reply from Jürg to reorganize the current dead situation of the project where only vapi commits
are appearing in mainstream.

Another solution would be to create a comunity branch of the main git repo and
apply all those fixes there.

For the hackaton... well I think there are many things we can do without vala-core devels. It's quite fun to hack on the source of vala, and I have managed to fix some problems in this way. I dont really think that i'm good with it, but maybe
sharing those issues by irc we can try to solve these problems by our own.

I think that the main points for the hackaton would be:

 - Complete the documentation of the language (non-c#, non-java tutorial)
- there are some things not explained in the tutorial, like the stack allocated arrays, etc.. - we can probably start writing a book about vala, like the parrot/rakudo people is doing
     http://rakudo.org/node/58
 - Documentation for CCodes
- Fix VAPIs (I have seen some typos like 'Ccode' and I have some local updates for curses.vapi f.ex..)
 - Review/report bug reports
 - Submit patches to solve the bugs

I'm missing something here?

--pancake