Re: [Vala] Why do regular reference types leak null?

On 08/16/2009 09:28 PM, Magentus wrote:
Out of interest, has there been any discussion about actually making
Vala a GCC front-end?  GCC already has the mechanism to do most of
this...  I suppose it's useful being able to convert it to C, and then
distribute that so it can be compiled on platforms without Vala
compilers.  But it does mean the code needs to be analysed twice; once
by Vala, and again by GCC.

I see one big problem with that. As a meta-compiler, anyone with knowledge of C can quite easily discover and track down bugs in it. If it was a GCC frontend, one would need to understand the GCC and the assembly language, which is way more rare among GNOME interested folks I believe. That means it would restrict contributing to Vala to a very limited audience, which would be very bad.