[Vala] GObject-introspection and vapi

Hello Folks,

I am trying to make a usable .vapi for gobject-introspection and I am seeing
that I will have to fix them manually. So I would like to ask:

1) Is the .gir expected to be equivalent to the .vapi, i.e. is it supposed to
   contain all information needed to create the .vapi (if it was correct,
   which it isn't, but that's another matter -- but it would mean I should
   be fixing the .gir or the annotations they use to generate it).

2) Is the .gir documented somewhere? I tried looking at the
   GObjectIntrospection web, but didn't find it. I only found documentation
   of the annotations. Which does not tell me important things like how
   to tell the generator that the structs it sees are actually gobjects
   (there is a bunch of things annotated as <record> that are gobjects
   when I look at the header).

3) I don't think a <record> should be treated as struct, because the
   GLib-2.0.gir from GI repository uses that to annotate all the non-gobject
   classes like IOChannel, which are reference types. So what is the correct
   way to handle them? (guess I can look into glib-2.0.vapi, right?)

Regards,
Jan