Re: [Vala] Proposal for an improved delegate/lambda handling

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 14:19 +0100, Sam Liddicott wrote:
I like any method that allows the callback block to acess all
variables from the original scope and also allows execution of the
callback to fall-through into the original scope at the end of the
callback block; implying that the whole function must be generated
with labda-style local vars.

It is not easy to do in a (GLib and VALA)-consistent way. There is only
one user_data field in GLib callbacks and it is already used for 'this'.

Although it is possible to reuse this parameter for a 'local' variable,
in which we store every local variable, problems exist.

The lambda-style local vars has to be on the heap rather than the stack
so that it doesn't get immediately destroyed when the parent code block
is no long in execution. But putting local variables in the heap
contradicts with the way C works; therefore the resulted c code has to
be really messy. It is not a big deal anyways since VALA already
generates messy C code in many situations.

More importantly, there seems to be little possibility to free these
lambdas because we don't know when they are no longer in use. Neither
can we disconnect signals because we lost the track of the 'user_data'
parameter if we are out of the function that connects the signal.

The following code shows a possible implementation.

struct has_lambdas_local_type{
int ref_count;
GObject * this;
int local_1;
int local_2;
int par1;
};
void local_unref(gpointer local);
void local_ref(gpoitner local);

void lambda1 (...., struct has_lambdas_local_type * local) {

}
void has_lambdas (GObject * this, int par1) {
struct local_type * local = g_new0(struct local_type, 1); /*inevitably
leaked*/

local_ref(local);
local.this = this;
local.par1 = par1;

..
do stuff with local.local_1, local.local_2 and such.

local_ref(local);
g_signal_connect(..... , lambda1, local);
local_ref(local);
g_signal_connect(..... , lambda2, local);

playing with local.local_1, local.local_2, again.

local_unref(local);
return;
}

Yu