Re: [Vala] Proposal for an improved delegate/lambda handling

On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 22:57 +0200, Ali Sabil wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to start a discussion about a small syntactic sugar
addition to Vala, that would in my opinion slightly improve the
situation with asynchronous code. The following code sample should be
self explanatory about my proposal:

delegate bool HttpResponseCallback (string response);

public class HttpClient : Object {
    public void post_request (string request, HttpResponseCallback cb)
{
        cb ("Hello world");
    }
}

// Current State
var client = new HttpClient ();
client.post_request("GET ....",  (response) => {
        debug ("got response %s", response);
        return true;
    }
);

// Proposed syntax:
// Vala would basically use the "pseudo-lambda" expression
// following the method call as a parameter to the method call
client.post_request("GET ....") (string response) {

What about
client.post_request("GET ..."):
(response) => {
},
(second_callback) => {
};

Adding the colon and commas might ease the parser.

    debug ("got response %s", response);
    return true;
}

I am very open to comments and suggestions.

Cheers,

--
Ali