Re: [Vala] GObject-introspection namespaces

Hi Jürg,

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 09:57 +0200, Jürg Billeter wrote:
The plan for gobject-introspection is to have two names per gir file,
one is a unique module name, which can be used e.g. in Python, and the
other is a namespace that doesn't have to be unique.

Cool, so for good understanding, the internal symbol lookup in the gir
will be based upon the unique module name, the namespace or both?

The gir module name will be determined from the --pkg option of valac
and the namespace will be used in Vala code. The namespaces are not
expected to change when switching to gir in Vala.

I am not really worried about changes in the vala bindings or the
language itself, considering it's still a young language and some
changes are simply inevitable. But looking at the potential of
introspection perhaps when in the future other languages like cpp, mono
and others may want to make use of it; they also might be interested in
having a link between their namespaces and the gir format.

I think it's definitely a challenge to create a portable format that is
usable by others without too much stub, but to make it clear I like a
lot where it is heading. The source annotations for example are a pretty
nice idea, which would make it a lot easier for the binding-writers and
in the end bring the developers more together to tackle problems at the
source.

Best Regards,
Hans