Re: [Vala] [OT] Vala XChat Plugins Bindings

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 13:10:26 +0100
Andrea Del Signore <sejerpz tin it> wrote:

Hi all,

since yesterday I wrote an HelloWorld xchat plugin just because I was
bored, I thought that sharing the vapi could be useful to someone else.

wow nice :)

Some comments on the vapi follows:

1) in the init & get_info functions I use pointers to pointer because if
not vala try to free an invalid pointer.

use 'weak' to skip the vala memory management for a variable.

btw reading your example maybe you'll need to use 'out' and 'ref' attributes.

2) The vapi can be better if it try to use virtual methods for the init,
deinit & get_info functions, but first I must investigate on how vala
support virtual methods in classes that don't derive from GLib.Object

read sqlite3.vapi as example vapi, i take lot of ideas from it. You can
setup the init and deinit methods as constructor and destructor, so vala
will take care of them in a proper way.

My lua vapi hasn't been imported into vala, so I think that maybe Jurg
thinks that this is not imoprtant to be in valac tarball. So I propose
to create a community maintained repository for VAPIs.

What do you think?

--pancake