Re: [Vala] Newbie questions

Hi coulamac,

Has it said before, the version of vala in the ubuntu repository is to old.
You can download and compile vala 0.16 but remenber that Vala is
self-hosting, so maybe you have to go 0.14 then 0.15 etc.

Another solution, is simply to take packages made by the
avant-window-navigator team
(https://launchpad.net/~awn-testing/+archive). And then you go directly
to 0.16

Hi,

I'm attempting to learn Vala and am an extreme newbie,
so please be gentle with me.

I am using Ubuntu and dowloaded vala using synaptic.
Then I copied the Basic Sample from live.gnome.org
page into a text file I called valaSamples.vala.

First I tried to compile valaSamples.vala with valac
from a directory of my making in ~/Documents.  I
received an error saying I should include
gobject-2.0.pc to my PKG_CONFIG_PATH.  I've been
trying to echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH and set it, but I'm
not having much luck.  Can anyone give me very, very
detailed basic instructions on how to compile a vala
hello world in this fashion?

Second, I decided to place my shiny valaSamples.vala
in usr/bin/ where valac lives to see if I could outwit
PKG_CONFIG_PATH.  I succeeded, but I ran into another
problem.  I got the following error: Segmentation
Fault (core dumped).  Hmmm... does anyone know how to
get more detailed information to find out what went
wrong?

For the record, here is the text in valaSamples.vala:

/* Basic Vala Sample Code */
using GLib;

public class Sample : Object {
        public Sample () {
        }

        public void run () {
                stdout.printf ("Hello World\n");
        }

        static int main (string[] args) {
                var sample = new Sample ();
                sample.run ();
                return 0;
        }
}

Thanks in advance for your patience and help!  I will
be happy to edit the tutorial in live.gnome.org with
your insights, if you don't think the information is
too basic.

~Andrew

~~~~~~~~~
dissertus scribendo latine videri volo.