Re: [Vala] True vala introspection

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 9:06 PM, Sam Liddicott <sam liddicott com> wrote:
Florian Brosch wrote:
https://launchpad.net/valadoc

That is impressive.
I got it to run;
 ./valadoc --pkg gtk+-2.0  --pkg gmodule-2.0 --pkg glib-2.0 -o /tmp/xp --protected --private ../../phoneui2/src/dialer.vala

It generates good documentation for vala files.

Thanks!

I managed to get it to spit out docmentation for GTK vapi files by using --inherited, but it took about 5 minutes.

Is there a shortcut so I can just give it a vapi file, or even just a classname? (For now I could fake the vala file to have the right class references I guess)

I personally prefer to create documentation with --deps and without --inherited. --deps create documentation for all depencies too and list them on the main page. (That is what i do for the references on the main vala page.)

Valadoc is based on libvala - so we will save some time when valac will be able to read binary files instead traditional vapis. The slowest part is the writer. Feel free to check the size of the output and you will see where we lose our time. I'm sure an xml-output should be much faster.

However, in trying to find the signal handler signatures for Gtk.Button, I found just:
    public    signal void               activate                  (  )  ;
    public    signal void               clicked                   (  )  ;
    public    signal void               enter                     (  )  ;
    public    signal void               leave                     (  )  ;
    public    signal void               pressed                   (  )  ;
    public    signal void               released                  (  )  ;
- no arguments, which is about a much sense as I got from the vapi file, but we know from the glade example that the click signal handlers do take arguments:
http://live.gnome.org/Vala/GladeSample
    [CCode (instance_pos = -1)]
    public void on_bHelloWorld_clicked (Gtk.Widget widget) {
        stdout.printf ("Hello World!\n");
    }
Something funny is going on as by the time the handler sees the event both the event-generating object and the handling object are being passed on the stack.

I'll take of that. Thanks for the bug-report.

Also; (ever so sweetly) is it possible for valadoc to track the [CCode] and other method attributes so that readers will be able to use the generated documents to discover the proper function definitions? However I suspect in this case you won't be able to as it is probably related to the trickery.

I'll add support for that, shouldn't be a big deal.

I'll be happy to add xml output to valadoc to support introspection from a vala perspective.

Sounds good - we need something like that anyway. I thought about to extend the gir-format and add some stuff for the documentation.

There is no plugin-interface at the moment, but I'm sure we find a good solution. We should meet us at irc or jabber to talk about that next days. I'm going to travel to salzburg at 03/07 - it would be great if we could talk before.

Sam