Re: [Vala] gross string literals

Sam Liddicott wrote:
[...]
I get uneasy because in some of my cases the string could be a few
thousand characters long.

C89 decrees that a compiler must support string literals of up to 509
bytes, and C99 decrees 4095 bytes --- it's probably unlikely that anyone
will use Vala with anything other than gcc, though.

(I used a compiler this year that would just plain crash if you tried to
use string literals longer than about 2kB. However, it was quite happy
with very long string *initializers*:

extern char string[];
char string[] = "...long string here...";

.)

│ "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
│ telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out
│ how to use my telephone." --- Bjarne Stroustrup