[Vala] valac makefile problem

The valac makefiles seem to be a bit buggy.

I made this change (among others) to  ccode/valaccodedeclaration.vala:

-    public CCodeDeclaration (string type_name) {
+    public CCodeDeclaration (string type_name, string comment="") {

and then typed: make
but got errors like:

 gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I.. -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
-I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -g -O2 -MT valaccodeclassbinding.lo -MD -MP
-MF .deps/valaccodeclassbinding.Tpo -c valaccodeclassbinding.c  -fPIC
-DPIC -o .libs/valaccodeclassbinding.o
valaccodeclassbinding.c: In function ‘vala_ccode_class_binding_real_emit’:
valaccodeclassbinding.c:742: error: too few arguments to function
‘vala_ccode_declaration_new’

Even compiling valac without this change, and then using that to compile
itself with this change results in the same error:

I tried make distclean and still the same problem. Is there something
wrong with the make file?

I tried make maintainer-clean and then re-touched the file and still no
joy,

in fact right after make maintainer-clean:
$ find . -name valaccodememberaccess.*
./ccode/.svn/text-base/valaccodememberaccess.vala.svn-base
./ccode/valaccodememberaccess.vala
./ccode/valaccodememberaccess.c
./ccode/valaccodememberaccess.h

What are the .c and .h file still doing there after a maintainer-clean?

But after a maintainer-clean, it least it all works, but surely I don't
have to do a maintainer-clean each time I edit a vala file?

Sam