Re: [Vala] Math.exp2 not portable

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 19:57 +0100, pancake wrote:
On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:48:11PM +0100, J?rg Billeter wrote:
On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 11:10 +0100, pancake wrote:
But the reality is another:

 http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/manual/html_node/exp2.html

We don't guarantee that all functionality provided in Vala bindings is
available on all platforms. exp2 is a standard C function, I don't see
an issue in keeping it in the bindings, it's hardly an exotic function.

it's only a GNU standard. btw i'm thinking about the possibility to mark
some methods as deprecated with an associated explanatory string.

exp2 is part of the C99 standard, so it's certainly not deprecated and
also not something GNU-specific. Not all C compilers and C libraries
support C99, however, as I wrote before, we don't guarantee that all
functionality provided in the bindings is available on all platforms.
For example we already provide bindings for glib 2.15 functionality,
although this version is not yet widely installed.

This would be nice to develop, so you can mark a method as deprecated, and
all the times you call it the compiler will show you the 'error message':

[Deprecated (reason="foo() method has been deprecated, please use bar()")]
public void foo() {
}

or something like that :) what do you think?

Yes, something like that is planned to be added to Vala.

Jürg