Re: [Vala] Request: Some high level documentation about how vala works internally

On 17/01/2008, Jürg Billeter <j bitron ch> wrote:
Hi Jaap,

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 15:44 +0100, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
I think it would be very helpful for potential contributors to have
some high level documentation on how vala works internally
E.g. class diagrams, a description explaining the directory structure,
a description what happens when the vala compiler gets called etc.

Yes, that would certainly make sense. However, I think that the language
documentation is a lot more important right now, although there have
been some improvements in that area, e.g. with the tutorial in the Wiki.

The generated libvala documentation[1] might help a bit, although the
actual method descriptions are not available in the HTML yet. Reading
vala/compiler/valacompiler.vala (the entry point of valac) should help
quite a bit in understanding how the compiler works internally.

Whether language docs or technical docs are more important is really
about which parties you are wanting to attract.

If the language docs are better more users a likely to stick with Vala
after they've satisfied their initial curiosity. Same pattern applies
to technically advanced users and technical docs.

I think Vala has enough traction to not need lots more end user docs
(but more technical docs), but you are really the only one qualified
to answer that.

Cheers,
Mikkel