Re: [Vala] inline C

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 09:49 -0800, Conrad Steenberg wrote:
On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 12:42 -0500, Jamie McCracken wrote:
On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 09:18 -0800, Conrad Steenberg wrote:
Hmmm, I would love to be able to use C++ libraries from Vala (or
Genie,
since it's a natural jump from Numeric Python which I currently use).

Any ideas on how to do that? Compile the vala/genie-produced C code with
a C++ compiler?

if you want vala to output to c++ objects instead of gobject C then you
would have to code a backend for vala but this is a lot of work

jamie

Yes, I can imagine. I notice that SWIG can now produce C wrappers for C
++ code, so that may be one way to go. In the long term it would be nice
to have a sort of vapi++ to call C++ code, even though GObject is still
used.

Writing a C++ backend for Vala that still uses GObject for types
declared in Vala should be doable, we might just need a bit refactoring,
so we can reuse the existing backend in an optimal way. I'm not planning
to work on that in the near future, though.

Jürg