Re: [Vala] Vala autoconf macro

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Michael Terry <mike mterry name> wrote:
Hello, all!

I recently rewrote a little puzzle game [1] I maintain into Vala from
C++.  I'm a big fan of Vala, so thanks!  The app is called gmult, and
emulates the mpuz game found in emacs.

I'm writing this list because I thought I'd share one of the packaging
tricks I used.  I copied most of the Makefile.am magic from other Vala
apps, but I did write a useful autoconf macro that tests for valac and
its version.

If you stick the following in acinclude.m4, you can use it in
configure.ac (inspired by intltool.m4):

dnl AC_PROG_VALAC([MINIMUM-VERSION])
AC_DEFUN([AC_PROG_VALAC], [

AC_PATH_PROG([VALAC], [valac], [])

USE_VALAC=true

Sounds like a good idea; an alternative that might be simpler is to
have vala ship a pkgconfig file. That way we can just reuse the
existing pkgconfig macros.

Jürg?

--
Michel Salim