From: Thijs Vermeir <thijsvermeir gmail com>
Sent: 19 August 2008 21:52
To: arto karppinen iki fi
Cc: vala-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Vala] Vala autoconf macro

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Arto Karppinen
<arto karppinen mail suomi net> wrote:

I agree that autotools is a difficult and obscure system that works by dark
magic. Unfortunately, autotools does work everywhere, not just in most
places, which is why it gets my vote.

I don't think there is currently a place where waf does not work.

Besides, autotools is the defacto build system for G* things, so i think
vala should use it.

Sorry, but that is not an argument for using or not using a build
system. You choose a build-tool to make your live easier as a
developer. If you know all the magic of autotools, fine use it. If you
don't know it, I don't think you should start learning it. Take a look
at the config.log file of a random project and look at what autotools
is checking, many are just absolute. (I think nobody cares anymore
about the maximum length of the command line arguments.) A more modern
build system does this more optimized and produces much faster builds.

Gr,
Thijs

--
Arto Karppinen