Re: [Vala] How to call a gst_object_ref in vala?

On Mon, April 28, 2008 16:31, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
I'm rewriting cheese [1] in vala and I have video and a photo sink and
I need to switch between the two, but I don't want to rebuild them all
the time whenever I switch

So what I want is when a users switches from photo to video mode

   bin.remove (photo_sink);
   bin.add (video_sink);

Then when the user switches back

   bin.remove (video_sink);
   bin.add (photo_sink); // Crash because photo_sink got unreffed in
bin.remove (photo_sink)

So I think I need it, or do you see other ways to do it

Ah, that's just a bug in the Vala bindings for GStreamer, then. GstObject
uses floating references, like GInitiallyUnowned. However, Vala doesn't
know that yet. The `photo_sink- field should suffice to keep the
reference, so when this bug is fixed, you don't have to do anything
special to avoid the crash. Please add the bug to bugzilla.

Juerg