Re: [Vala] Roadmap to Vala 1.0

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 10:51 -0700, Michael Lawrence wrote:
On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Jürg Billeter <j bitron ch> wrote:
        On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 09:57 -0700, Michael Lawrence wrote:
        > So would Vala then make use of GIR for GObject-based libraries and
        > VAPI for the others? It would be nice if everything (i.e. cairo,
        > libxml2, ...) could be expressed in GIR. Perhaps all that is necessary
        > is a means for specifying the copy and free functions for ordinary
        > structures.

        GIR is an extensible format, so it should be possible to express all
        bindings in that format. However, as GIR is an XML format, it's not that
        comfortable for handwritten bindings. We don't intend to deprecate VAPI
        bindings.

True. It would be great if Vala could convert VAPI to GIR. That way,
one can write a binding in a convenient form and then convert it and
feed it to binding generators for other languages.

Sure, that will certainly be possible.

Jürg