Re: [Utopia] About gnome-device-manager

Strony Zhang wrote:
> The gnome-device-manager is not OS specific, so it should have all of
> reasonable functions even if some of them are still not underlying
> implemented in some OS. If necessary, some interfaces need to be added
> in Hal to meet the requirement.
>
> Now I am trying that on Solaris. If I can do that, I shall let you know.

Yeah, the default-o response here is, I guess, "patches are welcome". Come up
with a set of DBus interfaces, abstract enough to suit any OS, and send your
proposal to the list. The typical modus operandi for us itchy hackers is to look
at what you know (Linux, Solaris, BSD) and try to generalize it. Code it up.
It's never perfect, but something is always better than nothing, it's all about
increments. g-d-m can adapt (read: grey out) at runtime depending on which
interfaces are implemented.

-Artem