Re: [Utopia] RE: Gnome Volume Mgr ==> Gnome Hardware Mgr ??

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 19:19 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:

> What you got in mind? Powering down USB devices and PCMCIA slots?

Sure.  You want to build a tree of devices and power down all unused
devices and then walk the tree upward, powering down -- if all PCI
devices are off, then power down the PCI bus, too.

We could add a feedback loop and do this for idle devices, too.

This is mostly kernel work at this point.

> > Hot docking docking stations, removable batteries, drives, and so on.
>
> With the idea of integrating g-p-m?

If a user-space component has a role, sure.  I don't necessarily see
what is needed, though.

> > and VGA-out projector support top my list.
>
> After thinking more about the direction of g-p-m, I think that the
> project is still very young, and is probably best not to merge into
> g-h-m at the moment... but I do think it's maybe a good thing in the
> long term for the "common desktop experience"
>
> What's everyones current ideas and thinking on this?

I see absolutely no reason to have two daemons that both manage hardware
and respond to HAL events.

I also think G-P-M is a lot of code for what it currently does.

	Robert Love