Re: [Utopia] RE: Gnome Volume Mgr ==> Gnome Hardware Mgr ??

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 14:03 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 20:51 -0700, Johnson, Charles F wrote:
>
> > I would love to hear what your laundry list of items are with an
> > indication of priority.   From I'm hearing, the highest priority has got
> > to be external display/projector support on Laptops.  It seems this can
> > be substantially solved outside of X. (Or at least limited to the
> > driver.)  Len Brown's ACPI hotkey work and write-up at OLS last summer
> > sets up the framework.
>
> Better ACPI support.
>
> Device-level power management.

What you got in mind? Powering down USB devices and PCMCIA slots?

> Hot docking docking stations, removable batteries, drives, and so on.

With the idea of integrating g-p-m?

> and VGA-out projector support top my list.

After thinking more about the direction of g-p-m, I think that the
project is still very young, and is probably best not to merge into
g-h-m at the moment... but I do think it's maybe a good thing in the
long term for the "common desktop experience"

What's everyones current ideas and thinking on this?

Richard.