[Utopia] RE: Gnome Volume Mgr ==> Gnome Hardware Mgr ??

I would love to hear what your laundry list of items are with an
indication of priority.   From I'm hearing, the highest priority has got
to be external display/projector support on Laptops.  It seems this can
be substantially solved outside of X. (Or at least limited to the
driver.)  Len Brown's ACPI hotkey work and write-up at OLS last summer
sets up the framework.

--Charles Johnson
Intel Corp.
charles f johnson intel com

Has
>> there been more thoughts along these lines ??
>
>I think that the change to gnome-hardware-manager is an issue of naming
>only, because we /already/ made the change technically: g-v-m now
>manages mice, keyboards, scanners, printers, and iPods, in addition to
>media and removable drives.
>
>I would be happy to add more.
>
>What reason is there, for example, to make gnome-power-manager
separate?

>> I'm now wondering if any changes to the X server really should be
done
>> within the context of Gnome Volume Mgr instead of something
indpendent.
>> So I guess my real question here is if you think this is the current
>> trend in the community ??  (I also CC'd this to the Utopia list.)
>
>The line between the two layers is sometimes vague.  It is hard to
>define here and now and more of a case-by-case issue.  But I think
>"making X dumber" is something that most people, the X developers
>included, agree with.
>
>I had lunch with Jim Gettys a year or so ago and we talked about just
>this: X should not have to understand hardware or configure itself.
HAL