Re: [Utopia] Cryptsetup

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 18:57 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > I'm curious how this works together with this plan
> >
> >  http://www.flyn.org/easycrypto/easycrypto.html
> >
> > that W. Michael Petullo posted to the hal-list?
>
> That does not really fit into the Debian and Ubuntu architecture since
> our hal does not run as root,

I wonder if you saw this

 http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2005-February/002163.html

> and hal is meant to stay policy free.

Uhm, no, what this is about is to make hal offer the 'do-this-thing-to-
what-this-device-object-represents' in a convenient way. The policy is
still in the caller invoking the method.

Please don't confuse this with hal starting to enforce policy because
this is just not the case.

> OTOH we already have pmount which does the root part, so it is
> straightforward to put the cryptsetup integration into pmount. In
> addition, luks-setup does not yet exist in hal 0.5.1.

No one sent the patches yet, no.

> But all the other components are fine, so at most Debian/Ubuntu only
> needs a small g-v-m patch to call pmount instead of luks-setup.

I'd rather, in the grand scheme of things, have that distro X didn't
have to do A while distro Y did B. I've also mentioned it would be nice
to deprecate fstab-sync and use something like pmount instead but I've
not seen any patches to do so. Instead I see Ubuntu going off in their
own direction. Sigh.

Have fun,
David