Re: [Utopia] Cryptsetup

Hi!

David Zeuthen [2005-05-12 12:29 -0400]:
> On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 18:20 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > David A. Patterson [2005-05-12 21:19 +0700]:
> > > Is anybody doing work with integration cryptsetup or cryptsetup-luks? If
> > > so, please let me know.  I don't want to go about reinventing the wheel,
> > > and perhaps I can help.
> >
> > Yes, indeed I'm currently at it. My recent pmount 0.9 calls
> > cryptsetup-luks if the device is encrypted. I also changed the Debian
> > package cryptsetup for Ubuntu to now contain the LUKS patches.
> >
> > So the only thing that is still missing is a proper integration into
> > gnome-volume-manager. I stole a preliminary patch from somewhere which
> > displays a (rather ugly) dialog for entering the passphrase, but it
> > actually needs to call pmount with the passphrase. Do you have any
> > plans wrt. to this? If so, we two should work together on that.
>
> I'm curious how this works together with this plan
>
>  http://www.flyn.org/easycrypto/easycrypto.html
>
> that W. Michael Petullo posted to the hal-list?

That does not really fit into the Debian and Ubuntu architecture since
our hal does not run as root, and hal is meant to stay policy free.
OTOH we already have pmount which does the root part, so it is
straightforward to put the cryptsetup integration into pmount. In
addition, luks-setup does not yet exist in hal 0.5.1.

But all the other components are fine, so at most Debian/Ubuntu only
needs a small g-v-m patch to call pmount instead of luks-setup.

Have a nice day!

Martin

--
Martin Pitt              http://www.piware.de