Re: [Utopia] Not sure if this is the correct mailing list or not - HAL and G-V-M

Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 10:43 -0500, Steev wrote:
>
> you completely lost me here... in what way does configure need to be
> "fixed"? it sounds like you're doing something wrong.

Not fixed - patched for Gentoo - I patch the configure script with

-  mount_command="${mount_path} %d"
+  mount_command="${mount_path} %h"

This is because you can pass mount_path and umount_path to the configure
script and it will add the %d/%h to it, thus i get
/usr/bin/pmount-hal %h as the mount command, as you said it should be.

I am guessing that it passes %d by default, to mount if pmount isn't
specified.

> if you get the error: "mount_all: no device for udi=%s: %s", then it
> means
>
> libhal_device_get_property_string (ctx, udi, "block.device", &error)
>
> is failing... why? I do not know... as the error string is not being
> properly set by HAL apparently.

I do not know either, but I am still searching.  I currently run
gnome-volume-manager in my Startup Programs and it is mounting fine now.
This is with hal 0.5.3 and with a hal 0.5.4 snapshot in cvs.

> Error: UDI '/dev/sda1' does not exist
>
> that's an error from something other than g-v-m, so no idea what tht is
> coming from... perhaps pmount-hal?

This was coming from pmount-hal because it was getting passed %d instead
of %h, which from what I gather from manager.c means to pass the device
node to the mount command, instead of %h which passes the HAL UDI.

Apparently, I am missing something else though, because inserting a
CD-ROM doesn't get mounted, Blank CD-R doesn't pop open the Nautilus
window to burn a data cd, and inserting a DVD-ROM doesn't start totem to
play the movie.  I have checked other bugzilla's and can't seem to find
anything, so either I am way ahead of everyone wrt hal, or I am screwing
up something big time ;)