Re: [Utopia] Debian/Ubuntu bug fixes for gnome-volume-manager

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 14:11 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 07:54 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > Restarting hal/dbus on package upgrade has worked very well so far,
> > too. Our fine grained dependency system ensures that the matching
> > libraries are available, and with the reconnection patch we can get an
> > uninterrupted g-v-m session in all cases but HAL API changes (which
> > does not occurr very often, so that's not a big deal).
>
> Which do you think your desktop users will be happier with?
>
> 1) Sometimes, perhaps rarely, after upgrades or security updates, some
>    things on the desktop mysteriously stop working or crash.  They have
>    no idea what caused it or what they need to do to fix it.  They might
>    eventually notice that rebooting seems to fix it.
> 2) Their OS works reliably all of the time, but occasionally notifies
>    them that in order to gain new functionality from certain installed
>    software they should reboot at some point.

I vote for #2. Stability over any new features. A message saying a
reboot is needed for _New_ functionality is OK. There's a difference
between needing a reboot for the new function and a reboot because w/o
it it won't be stable. (or hack/crackable)

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!