[Utopia] Re: [patch] improved hal support for gnome-vfs

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 12:00 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> - Move all icon/name selection from libhal-storage back into >gnome-vfs
>   (all the policy/icon/name stuff will be deprecated from >hal shortly)

As far as I can see, this patch removes the facility to
use HAL to hint at what the storage (device or volume) icon
should be, and thus Gnome will only use internal preset
icon names.

Right now I have a couple of cameras. I have configured hal via my own fdi files to specify my own icons (each one being an icon representing the particular camera), so that gnome/nautilus displays my specific camera-icon for each camera (to help me know which one is which).

I'm worried that I will be left with two of the same preset-gnome icon on my desktop - not so easy to distinguish between the two.

I guess most users and distributions will never have the
HAL property for the icon name set, and so gnome will
simply do 'the right thing'. However, if an installation has
taken the trouble to hint at an icon, shouldn't we try and use it?

Karl