Re: [Utopia] Debian/Ubuntu bug fixes for gnome-volume-manager

Hi!

John (J5) Palmieri [2005-07-04 12:56 -0400]:
> On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 18:05 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
>
> > 04_reconnect_on_dbus_exit.patch:
> >   - Reconnect to dbus after restarting dbus and hal, instead of just
> >     crashing.
> >   - Important in package-based system when you want to continue to use
> >     your Gnome session while doing a system upgrade.
>
> If this can be handled sanely then great.  There has been a conclusion
> drawn that for a lot of situations this is a hard problem to solve.  It
> is safer to consider D-Bus being like the kernel.  If you upgrade it you
> don't get the new version until you reboot (e.g. don't restart the bus
> on upgrades).  There are issues like you can't restart any running
> session bus and you don't even know when libraries will sync up so you
> might end up being kicked off the bus anyway.

I see the point here. However, in Debian and Ubuntu we usually design
our packages in a way that they do not require a reboot in any case
but a kernel upgrade. Of course this is much more important on servers
to minimize downtime, but it has become a common standard, Policy, and
people expect it.

Restarting hal/dbus on package upgrade has worked very well so far,
too. Our fine grained dependency system ensures that the matching
libraries are available, and with the reconnection patch we can get an
uninterrupted g-v-m session in all cases but HAL API changes (which
does not occurr very often, so that's not a big deal).

We do not use the session bus for anything right now, but since it
would just continue to run, it already behaves the way you described.

Since I see that different distributions want to handle that
differently, what about making this optional with a ./configure-time
option?

Thanks,

Martin
--