Re: [Utopia] GVM - fstab symlink patch

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 13:12 -0500, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> >  3. fstab-sync changes block.device to /dev/cdrom
>
> Is this really a good idea? It seems to me that the Real Native Device
> should be what HAL reports. If something else allows symlinks, it should
> be taken care of there?

I thought about this, and yeah, I think that if a) there is a symlink;
and b) this is listed in /etc/fstab; then we should use it as it's
probably from the operating system installer or from the system
administrator.

Btw, there is no "Real Native Device", it's just a file that udev or
others creates in response to a hotplug event; you can easily create
your own device file by e.g. 'mknod my_other_dev_hdd_file c 22 64'.

David