Re: [Utopia] is gmv only ment for mountable stuff?

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 14:41 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 20:30 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > But you want all the policy handling to be at the session-level anyway,
> > so the program being activated will run as the user logged in. One
> > benefit of handling policy in the session rather than at the system
> > level is that you have access to the users preferences from gconf.
>
> Yeah, definitely.  Maybe I missed something obvious here, but how do you
> bridge these things between the system bus, where all the HAL stuff is
> happening, and the session bus(es)?

Well, there are no connection between the system bus and session buses,
so at least D-BUS activation is out.

Presumably the idea about a xinet.d style daemon that can listen on a
bus (both session and system, should be generic) and act on signals
defined by rules and spawn stuff is the best. Indeed, we could also run
this daemon on the system level (as root) to take care of the HAL call
outs. Then it would be a lot easier to not run HAL as root.

David