Re: [Usability] Will Nautilus ever be able to set recursive file permissions?

Hi,

On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 21:18 -0700, Jim March wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm on Mint12 and have confirmed that Nautilus is still broken.  In
> order to switch ownership or other permissions of, for example, an
> entire USB drive recursively (all directories top to bottom) I still
> have to drop to a terminal and run chown or chmod.
>
> The "Apply Permissions To Enclosed Files" button is still as
> non-functional as it was in 2006 when I started with Ubuntu Dapper
> 6.06.

I am on Fedora 15 and have to confirm that the "Apply Permissions To
Enclosed Files" is working fine. Though, it does not change the owner,
just the permissions. Which I did expect but I am not a representative
user. There might actually be a usability problem here: Does the label
"Apply Permissions To Enclosed Files" actually fit the functionality
(changing permission but not user)? Does the label suggest something
different is happening to the user (like the owner or group is changed
too)?

Those questions might belong here since this list is about usability
discussions. So most of this belongs into a bug report.

Thanks,
 Florian