Re: [Usability] I have a problem

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 01:53 +0300, Andrew W. Nosenko wrote:

> 1. how I can to hover using touch screen?

You may not be able to (I don't know if X on your touch screen would
emit proximity events).

In that case, those UIs that require hovering may indeed not be adequate
for your touch screen.

Touch screens and mice have very different feels; you can't just use any
widget and expect that it will work correctly on both types.

> 2. why I (now as desktop user) should to hover anything "just in case"?

You shouldn't have to.  If you need to scrape all the widgets just to
find functionality, the design is indeed broken.  What the
appear-on-hover icons do is to present casually useful actions, not
vital ones which should be close at hand.  They are intended to be, "by
the way, you can also do this here", not the primary way of doing
things.

Think of the "+" icons that appear on YouTube's thumbnails so that you
can add videos to your playlist (and in a similar way, the "X" icons
that appear in thumbnails already in the playlist so you can remove
them).  You wouldn't want those icons to show up all the time; showing
them when you hover the thumbnail is much better.  And the icons are not
the only way of performing their actions; you can go to the pages for
the videos and find a "remove this" or "add to playlist" command in
there - it just takes longer.

  Federico