Re: [Usability] Too much distraction-free computing

On 2011.05.07 18:52, Ryan Peters wrote:

>>> You can type the first letters of the app's name to filter the
>>> view.
>>>
>> Don't forget the Windows/Super key for quick overview access, or
>> if that doesn't work, Alt+F1. Marking an application as a
>> "favorite" by right-clicking it also helps very much with common
>> applications.

Typing first letter, filtering view is not „superfast“.

For example, in systray I always had audacious, thunderbird,
goldendict icons, for really „superfast“ access to these apps.

If I need to find a song in playlist, check new mail, or translate a
word, I do:

1. Move mouse on top of needed icon, that sits there all the time and I
exactly know it's position. So mouse cursor gets there instantly.

2. Right click on this icon. That all and superfast.

What you suggest is:

1. Move mouse to top-left corner of screen or press logo key.

2. Wait while activities view shows up, but I don't need activities
view! I need my application window.

3. Move mouse cursor on top of needed icon in dash.

4. Right click on it.

As you see, it's two times slower.

Activities view is really good for windows, workspaces management, for
searching applications, etc. But why I always forced to go in activities
window if all what I want is my application.

If there would be possibility to access dash without loading whole
activities view, it would be just perfect.

Other common scenario, when I just want to see window of an application
with useful information for a second, and then hide application window
again. I move mouse cursor on top of application icon in systray or
taskbar, click on it, see what new there, and without moving mouse,
click on it again, to hide this app.

Now using dash it is impossible, because after clicking icon in dash,
activities view together with dash disappears, so you must find a way,
how to hide app window again...

- --
                 Mantas aka sirex
    _ \<,_   -- launchpad.net/~sirex --  /\/  \