[Usability] Gnome 3.

Hi All,
There is no easy way to approach this so I am going to just jump.  Sorry for the abruptness.  Somethings I like but mostly I would consider it a failure.  In fact, I am in the process of switching to KDE in hopes that is more stable then gnome3.

I think it is an innovative enhancement to be able to switch an applications page but at what cost?  I used to have a series of applets across the title bar and I could easily select what I wanted in just 1 click.  Now I have to switch to the applications page and either select a favorite or scroll through a list.  This new approach is cool but it is far less efficient then applets across the title bar.  I also used to get a small icon representation of my applications across the footer.  When your application gets buried, under other application,  you can find it in the footer and with a single click you can bring it to the front.  Now you have to switch to the applications page and select.  Again cool but less efficient.  Dragging a title bar to maximize a window cool but less efficient then clicking on the maximize/unmaximize/minimize button, in the upper right.

That applications side by side is neat but rather gimicky, and besides it doesn't work as expected on a dual headed system.  One app on one screen and the other on the (far side) of the other screen.

I don't like that I have to log out before shutting down.  Often when I am done I want to power down the machine and be done with it.  Now I have to log out, wait for it, then finally shutdown.  That blows!  ... Effectively it means my wife will never power down because it is now too complicated or too tedious because she is not likely to wait for the log out process so she can power down.   That makes it my job!.

The applications are now enormous with the giant title bar and larger font.  Makes my 20 inch monitor look small and my low resolution laptop is absolutely dwarfed.

Selecting applications also is a hindrance.  Generally it is what you want to have only one application displayed at a time but not always.  A terminal, for example, usually when I want one I want several.   There are other applications as well where I want several.

The auto update tool doesn't seem to work anymore.

I could tolerate those things but now I am finding my applications to be unstable.  Evolution, my mail tool of choice, usually locks up after minimal usage and frequently I can't even start it without it freezing.  Emacs also freezes and I am sure other applications as well, which I am sure to discover as soon as I start using them.

On top of all that it seems to be very slow.

This is meant to be constructive and I hope you can see it that way.

-brian