[Usability] Quick Introduction, and a request

Hello,

I've been using the X Window System since 1993, when I was dragged "kicking and screaming" into the world of X from my DOS/Window 3.11 desktop.

And I'm in debt to my coworkers for doing so, because I've been much more productive with Linux and X than with systems that I do not care for.

Here's a screenshot of me using olvwm:

   http://ponzo.net/Linux/screensh.gif

( Other screenshots are here:  http://ponzo.net/Linux/ )

I use Fedora on all my desktops, save the two Mac minis I keep around -- but though the Macs have a nice interface, I much prefer that of Gnome 2. I recently upgraded my laptop to Fedora 15, and was surprised to find that gnome-panel had changed so much. After some discussion on the fedora tester's list, I asked where I could post constructive criticism of Gnome 3, in hopes of making it better. Someone posted a pointer to this mailing list and the irc channel -- and there I am, and here I am.

There's a lot I like about the Gnome 3 desktop, including the use of Javascript. But I'm missing my old gnome-panels, plural.

Unix -- including Linux -- has, to me, always been about having more choices. At the moment, I'm using the Gnome 3 standard interface, and I continue to miss my (highly-customized) gnome panels. I would like to advocate for an addition, or replacement, to "fallback mode" -- one that gives users the choice of using legacy Gnome 2 panels.

Has there been any discussion of this possibility?

Thanks,

 -Scott